For more than four decades, the Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning at Tufts University has been a place where students, faculty, and the community at large work to turn vision into practice. UEP centers its mission around the intersection of planning, policy and social justice.
UEP offers three Masters degree programs designed to sharpen the skills of policy and planning professionals working toward inclusive, just, and sustainable communities:
- Master of Arts in Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, which is accredited in urban planning and requires two years of full-time study. Click here to learn more about the MA program.
- Master of Public Policy for mid-career professionals, which can be completed in one year of full-time or two years of part-time study. Click here to learn more about the MPP program.
- Master of Science in Sustainability, a new degree which prepares students to plan for sustainability. Click here to learn more about the MS program.
In addition, UEP offers certificate programs for students at various stages of their careers:
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Urban Justice and Sustainability, a low-residency program for accomplished professionals who already have a masters degree.
- Three flexible certificate programs to enable working adults to enhance existing careers, move into new professional work, or prepare for a graduate degree program:
UEP instills social, economic and environmental justice perspectives throughout our programs. Students develop competencies in policy and planning knowledge, research and analytical skills, and professional practice.
A few examples of the competencies that students gain through our masters programs:
- History and theories of policy and planning
- Economic, environmental, social and cultural influences on policy and planning
- Roles of government, governance, and citizenship in policy and planning
- Data analysis, including qualitative, quantitative, and spatial
- Oral, written, and visual communication
- Understanding, mapping and influencing political and economic power dynamics
- Leadership and organizational management skills